The 2014 PSRA Racing Schedule is as follows: March 16 ,23 and 30 and April 6 and 13 – The Flick-Horvat Series; May 4 – the PSRA City Championship. Link to the Regatta Central for placing entries will be posted in January of 2014. The PSRA’s annual coaches meeting will be held Saturday, January 25, 2014.
Congratulations to our Bronze Medalists at the 2013 Youth Nationals: Malvern Prep in the Boys’ 4X and Ridgewood in the Boys 1X. The PSRA was well represented in the A, B and C finals throughout the regatta.
Congratulations and good luck to the following PSRA teams that have qualified boats for the 2013 USRowing Youth National Championships in Oak Ridge TN in June: Baldwin School, Christian Brothers Academy, Conestoga, Don Bosco, Egg Harbor Township, Episcopal Academy, Germantown Academy, Haddon Township, Harriton, Holy Spirit, Mainland, Malvern Prep, Merion Mercy, Montclair, Mount St. Joseph, Oakcrest, Penn Charter, Radnor, Ridgewood, Roman Catholic, Shipley, Springside Chestnut Hill, St. Augustine Prep, St. Joseph’s Prep, Msgr. Bonner and The Haverford School.
Congratulations to all the PSRA teams that won medals in the 2013 Stotesbury Cup this past weekend. Full results can be found at Stotesbury Results
Inclement Weather Plan for the May 5, 2013 City Championships
In the event of bad weather that will cause a delay that can’t be made up in the schedule, the following will go in effect:
- Regatta management will decide when to restart the regatta and at what point in the schedule it will restart.
- The order of events will remain the same
- If we are unable to run finals, medals will be awarded to all events not run based on the results of the head races. So tell your kids that those time trials count!
- If the regatta is restarted we will then change to 4-minute centers so we can run the maximum number of events. We will not use stake boats, only floating starts. Because of the delay, only Gold Medal crews will come to the awards dock. Silver and Bronze Medals will be given to the coaches to present to their crews.
- Regatta management reserves the right to review this plan and make changes if necessary.
- We will communicate changes through the PA system and social media. Boathouse Row coaches and other coaches may submit their cell phone numbers to be sure they receive proper notification. In the event of bad weather, coaches are responsible for making an effort to learn about any changes in the schedule.
- Please inform your coaching staff and rowers about this plan.
2013 Flicks Point Winners
Congratulations to our 2013 Flick/Horvat Series Points Winners: Mount St.Joseph Academy for Women’s Sweep, St. Joseph’s Prep for Men’s Sweep, Conestoga High School for Women’s Sculling, and Roman Catholic for Men’s Sculling. Complete tabulations are linked from the 2013 Schedule Page under Racing.
Parking Information for the 2013 City Championship
Due to the great volume of spectators and the history of traffic and parking problems at City Championships, the Philadelphia Police have requested us to limit the number of passes issued for this regatta. Consequently, teams receive a significantly lower number of passes for City Championships than you did for the Flick series. But there is good news:
- There is no charge for these passes.
- Chuck wagons (food trailers) and their tow vehicles will NOT be required to have a pass to enter Kelly Drive as opposed to the two passes needed during the Flicks. These food trailers must be identified with a school name or insignia. Please only one chuck wagon per team
- We have increased our free trolley shuttle service from the parking lots.
- A free golf cart shuttle service will continue to run from the entrance gate to assist in transporting elderly, handicapped or those who are carrying food and coolers to team tents.
We ask that you follow these regulations:
- Traffic is one way on Kelly Drive – north to south beginning at the Strawberry Mansion Bridge entrance and continuing to the Fountain Green exit. Do not attempt to exit at the Strawberry Mansion Bridge.
- The City Championship passes have a hanging tag. This must be displayed at all times hanging from the rearview mirror. You will be asked to move your vehicle if it does not have a hanging tag.
- Do not enter the Drive before it is closed and attempt to park on the Drive.
- Do not park on the grass.
- Do not park in front of the St. Joe’s Boathouse or in front of the adjacent parking lot. These areas are reserved for officials, staff and boat trailer tow vehicles.
- Do not double park.
- Do not park cars on the non-river side of the Drive.
- School vans and buses do not require a pass, but they must park past the finish line and Columbia Bridge on the non-river side of the drive.
- Handicapped parking is designated by signage. Please do not park there unless you have a handicapped tag. Handicapped vehicles must also have a PSRA pass to enter. Be sure your families with special needs get your passes.
- We are trying to keep the grandstand lot devoted to food trailers and officials’ parking.
Police and security staff will be on hand to enforce and direct the above regulations.
We ask that you follow parking regulations and are considerate and respectful of our staff, volunteers, and most importantly, each other. Let’s set a good example for our kids!
Thanks for your cooperation.
Please share this information with your parents. We look forward to seeing you May 5!
We are proud to announce that the Cooper Bone and Joint Institute has joined us as a sponsor of our May 5 City Championship. As South Jersey’s premier academic musculoskeletal center, the Cooper Bone and Joint Institute offers patients the full continuum of care. Its integrated team includes fellowship-trained and board-certified experts in orthopaedics, rheumatology, podiatry and rehabilitation. From the prevention and diagnosis of degenerative joint disease or injury, to the latest surgical and non-surgical treatments and rehabilitation, patients can expect to receive comprehensive, world-class musculoskeletal care in one of our seven convenient locations.
A huge thank you to our security guys at the gate for preventing a very serious accident on Sunday morning, March 17, 2013. Pat Smith and Kevin O’Gorman were collecting parking passes at the entrance to Kelly Drive when a motorist sped through the gate, nearly hitting them. They managed to flag the driver down and pull him over. When they questioned him, they discovered that he was very drunk. They summoned the on-duty Philadelphia Police who arrested the driver for DUI and took him into custody. If Pat and Kevin had not risked their lives to apprehend the driver, he most certainly would have hit parked cars and at worst pedestrians as well. So the next time you go through the gate and hand in your pass, give Pat and Kevin a big thank you.
The PSRA will hold its annual membership meeting Saturday, Feb. 2 at Fairmount Rowing Association, 2 Kelly Drive. Permanent Member Coaches will meet at 9 a.m., Permanent and Associate Member Coaches will meet at 10 a.m., Parent Boosters will meet at 11:30 a.m., and the LOC will meet at 1:30 p.m.
The PSRA has voted to lower the maximum weight for Boys’ Lightweight events to 150 lbs. effective Jan. 1, 2013.
A proposal by USRowing to require all high school rowers to join USRowing has been tabled. High School rowers will not be required to join USRowing to compete in PSRA events in 2013. USRowing is offering free “Basic” memberships to all juniors during 2013. Those juniors who compete in Youth Nationals and other regattas run by USRowing will still be required to buy “Championship” memberships for $45 each.