Are you interested in becoming a referee?
Launch Driving class is Feb. 11, 2017
The PSRA and Schuylkill Navy will co-sponsor a Launch Driving Class on Saturday, Feb. 11 at the Conshohocken Rowing Center. This class is free and open to all, but you must pre-register. For more info and to register click here.
$500 Prize for Schuylkill Navy Run Point Winners
George Hines and Lois Trench-Hines once again will award a grant of $500.each to the Girls and Boys High School Teams that win their respective Point Trophies at the annual Schuylkill Navy Run. A big thank you to Lois and George for their support of scholastic rowing in Philadelphia. This year the run will be held Nov. 24. For more info or to register, click on the link below. https://www.regattacentral.com/regatta/index.jsp…
New Fall Head Race for Juniors
The PSRA is co-hosting a fall head race for junior and scholastic crews only on Sunday, Nov. 6, 2016 on the Schuylkill River. This race is open to non-PSRA members as well as PSRA teams. Visit Regatta Central at Hidden River Chase for more information.
Inclement Weather Plan for the May 1, 2016 City Championship
In the event of bad weather that will cause a delay that can’t be made up in the schedule, the following will go in effect:
Regatta management will decide when to restart the regatta and at what point in the schedule it will restart.
The order of events will remain the same
If we are unable to run finals, medals will be awarded to all events not run based on the results of the head races. So tell your kids that those time trials count!
If the regatta is restarted we will then change to 4-minute centers so we can run the maximum number of events. We will not use stake boats, only floating starts. Because of the delay, only Gold Medal crews will come to the awards dock. Silver and Bronze Medals will be given to the coaches to present to their crews.
Regatta management reserves the right to review this plan and make changes if necessary.
We will communicate changes through the PA system and social media. Boathouse Row coaches and other coaches may submit their cell phone numbers to be sure they receive proper notification. In the event of bad weather, coaches are responsible for making an effort to learn about any changes in the schedule.
If the regatta needs to be canceled, we will make very effort to reschedule it. This will depend on the availability of the venue and the cooperation of Fairmount Park as well as the availability of officials and volunteers.
Please inform your coaching staff and rowers about this plan.
Congratulations to our 2016 Flick Point Winners: Mount St. Joseph’s Academy Crew, St. Joseph’s Prep Crew, Conestoga High School Crew and Roman Catholic High School Crew. Trophies will be awarded at City Championships. Points
PSRA 2016 Gear
Be sure to stop by our official Merchandise tents to buy this year’s line of PSRA gear. Shirts, sweats, hats and more!
2016 Registration and Payment Policies For Permanent and Associate Members
This year all teams will be asked to register on Regatta Central before the season begins. Each team’s head coach will be emailed its own unique link which will take him/her to it’s team page where the coach will be:
- Asked to provide basic contact information for the coaching staff as well as the ability to edit this information if it changes.
- Given the opportunity to pay the team’s dues with a credit card online for a convenience fee of $25.
- Be able to see if the team dues have been paid by someone else. If the team pays by check this will be entered by PSRA staff and can be seen online.
- This is similar to how entry fees are paid and recorded.
- Invoices have been issued to all teams as of Jan. 25, 2016. Let us know if you have not received one.
- Payment can be by check or by credit card (see above.)
- All dues are due by April 3, 2016 or a team will be prohibited from entering subsequent PSRA regattas. If your team uses a Purchase Order, it must be in the hands of the PSRA staff no later than April 3.
- All City Championship entry fees are due no later than May 1, 2016 or your team will not be allowed to compete. If your team uses a Purchase Order, it must be in the hands of the PSRA staff no later than May 1.
The Schuylkill Navy Run will once again be held this Thanksgiving Day, Nov 26 with a start of 9:15 am from Malta Boat Club (Registration ends at 8:30, runners should assemble at 9:00 am).
Held each Thanksgiving Day since 1899 (except during World War II), the 5 5/8 mile run is the oldest cross-country run in the nation and is one of the signature events of the rowing community’s calendar. In addition to rowers, family (parents, siblings, cousins) and friends are invited to run as “Guests,” giving us an event with a wonderful range of ages from 5-6 to 80+ years.
Also, all those who have rowed from Boathouse Row at some point in their lives routinely return for this special reunion…resulting in a run that features past and future Olympians, some of the most prominent coaches in the sport, etc.
This year, Lois and George Hines (long-term supporters of the PSRA and Schuylkill Navy community) will again donate a prize for the PSRA High School that captures the overall Girls High School Points Trophy and Boys High School Points Trophy. In addition, each program will receive a generous grant of $500 and inscription of the school on the perpetual trophy from them for their program. All PSRA programs (both Permanent and Associate Members) are eligible to compete for these awards.
To register for the race, click HERE. The entry fee is $25 and includes a Race t-shirt for the first 200 runners who register in the morning.
The PSRA Permanent Members Coaches Fall Meeting will be held Thursday, Dec. 3 at 6 pm at the USRowing Convention site, the Hilton at Penn’s Landing, 201 S. Christopher Columbus Blvd. in Philadelphia.
Congratulations to our 2015 Flick Point Winners: Mount St. Joseph’s Academy Crew, St. Joseph’s Prep Crew Conestoga High School Crew and Roman Catholic High School Crew. Trophies will be awarded at City Championships.
Traffic & Parking Advisory for May 3 City Championships
Traffic and Parking Advisory for May 3 2015 PSRA City Championships
Date Effective: May 3, 2015 12:00 am
Location: Kelly Drive Regatta Closure
● There are important safety and security procedures regarding closure of the race course portion of Kelly Drive on May 3, 2015.
●Temporary police regulation/traffic control will restrict parking/stopping/standing in the Grandstand Parking Lot and the Canoe Club Parking Lot from 12am through 6am on May 3, 2015.
On May 3, 2015, between the hours of 12:00 am and 6:00 am, the Philadelphia Police will patrol Kelly Drive and any vehicles/trailers in these areas will be ordered to leave. Vehicles/trailers parked on the grass/sidewalk are illegally parked and may be cited. These vehicles/trailers will be ordered to leave. Any vehicle or trailer left unattended may be cited by the Philadelphia Police & towed by the Philadelphia Parking Authority.
● PSRA will begin entry of vehicles after 6am upon full closure of the affected portion of Kelly Drive.
● Parking passes are currently being mailed to each team. The number of passes for City Championship is less than the number issued for the Flicks series. The Hanging Parking Pass must be displayed hanging from the vehicles rear view mirror. Vehicles parked without a displayed Hanging Parking Pass may be cited.
● Upon Entry, the Hanging Parking Pass stub will be removed. No Re-Entry is permitted.
● Marked school food trailers/chuck wagons and their tow vehicles entering in tandem DO NOT REQUIRE a parking pass for entry. Unmarked food trailers/chuck wagons and their tow vehicles entering in tandem require ONE  parking pass for entry. The tow vehicle must remain at the venue or have a parking pass for re-entry if traveling without the marked school food trailer/chuck wagon in tandem.
●Boat trailer tow vehicles who choose to depart the venue after initial entry with their boat trailer will be permitted re-entry after 4:30PM without a parking pass. Re-Entry prior to 4:30PM will require a parking pass.
●School buses and vans transporting student-athletes do not require a parking pass but must park past the finish line on the east side of the drive beyond the road curvature. Parking in any other location is a violation of City parking regulations and subject to ticketing/towing by the Philadelphia Police and Philadelphia Parking Authority.
● Recreation Vehicles are prohibited from parking at the PSRA City Championships in the Grandstand Parking Lot, Canoe Club Parking Lot and along the Kelly Drive Closure.
● Parent Tent locations MAY be staked-out prior to the City Championship. ONLY stakes and tape may be used. NO tents may be left at the site. Any items left will be considered abandoned.
●Schools who violate the temporary police regulation traffic control will be sanctioned BY PSRA.
Questions and concerns, contact Jeremy Gonzalez Ibrahim at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Regional Referee Academy
USRowing Mid-Atlantic Region – USRowing Referee – Introductory Full-Day Workshop
Saturday – March 7, 2015 – 9 AM to 3 PM
Camden County Boathouse, 7050 N. Park Drive, Pennsauken, NJ 08109
Attention: Club Rowers, Coaches, Crew Parents, Regatta Volunteers – If you are interested in becoming a USRowing Referee, this is for you!
- The Program: The process of becoming a licensed USRowing official will be reviewed, along with an overview of the various roles and assignments of Referees. USRowing Referee operating procedures and rules will be stressed.
- The Objective: Those wishing to continue as candidates will be prepared to participate in regional regattas. Basic equipment and connections to Chief Referees will be provided. Candidates will be given ongoing assistance in completing requirements for obtaining an USRowing Assistant Referee License.
- Cost: Absolutely F R E E to those with a genuine interest in officiating!
Costs are being subsidized by the Schuylkill Navy, the Philadelphia Scholastic Rowing Association, the Camden County Boathouse and other friends of the sport.
- The Day: Classroom presentations – demonstrations / workshop materials and lunch – no charge
9:00 AM – Welcome and sign in / coffee / upstairs at the Camden County Boathouse.
9:30 AM – Presentations by USRowing Clinicians and Referees
12:00 Noon – (lunch provided)
12:45 PM – Additional Presentations, Demonstrations, Q&A
3:00 PM – Workshop completed
Note: Referee candidates must be in good health, 21 years of age, able to swim, and enjoy outside activity.
The Camden County Boathouse is a 5 min. drive, just over the Ben Franklin Bridge from Philadelphia. Parking is on site.
Space is limited so registration is required, but feel free to share this workshop invitation.To register (first come first served) or for more information contact:Rich DougertE-mail: email@example.com or Phone: (H) 610-825-4292 (C) 610-755-7812